Farro with Kale & Sweet Potato
Olive oil, kosher salt & pepper
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups farro
4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1 sweet potato, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups loosely packed kale, chopped
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp parsley, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
WHY I LOVE IT
I am always looking for a good dinner option that is healthy, and will make a great lunch the next day. Often times I find myself in a food rut, making the same thing over and over, so when I saw this recipe from my friend Kelsey at Mams's Company, I knew I had to try it. It has some of my favorite ingredients. Nutrient dense, and also hearty enough to fill me up and power me through a long day.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In large dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Add the chopped yellow onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the farro. Toast for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir every 10 minutes until the farro is tender, approximately 30 minutes.
3. While farro cooks, toss sweet potato with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Roast on sheet pan in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.
4. Add kale, walnuts and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the sweet potatos and toss well. Place sheet pan back in oven for 5 more minutes.
5. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, parsley, chopped green onions and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
6. In the large dutch oven, add the lemon dressing to the farro and toss well. Add the roasted sweet potato and kale mixture and toss once more.
Serves: 4 (and makes great leftovers!)